top of page

Requirements for Business Visitor Visas

Work Related Routes: Representing your Business in the UK with confidence


Business Visas are designed for individuals or company representatives who intend to travel to the UK for the purpose of engaging in a permitted short-term unpaid activity. This route falls under the Standard Visitor route, which allows individuals to visit the UK for a temporary period of up to 6 months in accordance with your visa. It's important to state that this route does not lead to settlement in the UK, and each visitor must make a separate application, even if they are traveling as part of a group.


Section headings:

1. Obligations To Follow When Visiting

2. Visa National Preconditions

3. Visa Permitted Activities

4. Permitted Activities for General Business

5. Intra-Corporate Activities

6. Manufacture & Supply of Goods to the UK

7. Clients of UK Export Companies

8. Overseas Roles Requiring Specific Activities in the UK

9. Intention to Leave the UK at the end of your business trip

10. Financial Obligations for UK Trips

11. English Language & Validity Period Criteria

12. Eligibility conditions whilst in the UK

13. Visa Fees 

14. How Our Adviser Can Help

Get in Touch

visual map guide of step-by-step process of submitting a UK Spouse visa
12. Business Visit Visa Right to Work
1: Business Visitor Visa requirements
2: Visa National Requirement
3: Business Permitted Activities
4: Permitted Activities for Geneal Business

To qualify for a Visa, you must satisfy the following conditions set out by UKVI:


  1. Visa nationality: If you are a visa national, you will need to apply for a visa before traveling to the UK. Non-visa nationals can generally enter as a Visitor upon arrival at the UK border this is referred to as receiving a VOA (Visa on Arrival).

  2. Genuine purpose: You must genuinely enter the UK for a purpose that is permitted under the visitor routes, specifically for short-term activities.

  3. Prohibited activities: You must not engage in any activities that are prohibited under the visitor routes. It's important to familiarize yourself with the specific activities that are not allowed.

  4. Sufficient funds: You must have enough funds to cover all reasonable costs related to your right to remain, including maintenance and accommodation expenses. It is expected that you can support yourself financially during your right to remain without working or accessing public funds.

  5. Departure from the UK: You must have the intention to leave the UK at the end of your visa and not overstay your authorized period of leave to remain.

  6. Frequency of visits: You should not plan to live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, nor make the UK your main residence.

  7. General grounds for refusal: Your application should not fall under the general grounds for refusal, which include various reasons for visa refusal such as criminality, security concerns, and other related issues.

  8. Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA): A visa waiver system is likely to be introduced at end of 2023 when required, you will need to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorisation before traveling to the UK. This new system is part of the UK's plan to fully digitise its borders by 2025.

It's important to understand that specific obligations may vary depending on your individual circumstances. Consulting with an adviser can provide you with expert advice tailored to your situation. If you would like to discuss your application needs with our Consultant, please complete the enquiry form at the bottom of this page.

An individual whose nationality requires them to obtain a Visa before entering the UK. If you need to apply before travelling to the UK you will do so using a Visa Application Centre from your country of residence.

The UKVI has provided a (list of nationalities)  that fall under this category and are required to obtain a Business Visa in advance. However, there are certain exceptions within this list, which allow specific nationals leave to enter as a Visitor upon arrival in the UK.

On the other hand, those who don't need to apply in advance can generally seek leave to enter as a Visitor upon arrival into the UK without the need to apply in advance for a Visa (VOA). However, those nationals still need to meet the pre-conditions set out for entry as a Visitor, and upon arrival, they should be prepared to provide information regarding the purpose of their stay, how they will support themselves during their stay, their accommodation arrangements, and their return travel plans.

It's important to recognise that EU citizens, were previously considered eligible for a VOA, and could seek entry as Visitors on arrival without the need for a Visa. However, the immigration rules and conditions for EU citizens have since changed following the UK's departure from the European Union. Therefore, it is advisable to review the latest guidance and regulations regarding EU citizens' right to enter the UK.

In addition to assisting foreign nationals with their applications, our adviser also regularly supports foreign nationals in helping them demonstrate how they can meet the criteria for entry as a Visitor upon arrival through the VOA criteria. If you are unsure how to meet those requirements get in touch we can help.

Work Visa Permitted Activities 

This application route allows individuals to engage in a variety of permitted activities during their stay in the UK. These activities should be genuine and relate to the visitor's employment outside the UK. It's important to understand that the duration of any activity in the UK must be less than 6 months and should be prearranged whenever possible. The list of permitted activities for applicants includes, but is not limited to:


  1. Attending meetings, conferences, seminars, or interviews.

  2. Negotiating or signing contracts or agreements.

  3. Conducting fact-finding missions, market research, or feasibility studies.

  4. Attending trade fairs, exhibitions, or other-related events.

  5. Undertaking training sessions or professional development courses (provided they are not considered as the main purpose of the stay).

  6. Delivering speeches or presentations at trade events (as long as it's not as a paid performer).

  7. Participating in corporate training programs.

  8. Carrying out site visits and inspections.

  9. Advising and consulting on specific projects or initiatives.

  10. Providing after-sales services for products or equipment purchased from a company outside the UK.

It's important to remember that the above activities must align with the purpose of their stay and should not involve undertaking any prohibited activities, such as employment in the UK, engaging in any activities on behalf of a UK-based company, or providing goods and services directly to the public.

Please recognise that this list is not exhaustive, and the specific activities permitted under the application route may vary depending on individual circumstances. It is always advisable to review the latest guidance provided by UKVI or consult with our adviser for accurate and up-to-date information.

Under the this route, individuals are allowed to engage in general activities during their stay to the UK.


These activities include:

  • Attending meetings, conferences, seminars, and interviews

  • Giving one-off or short series of talks and speeches, as long as they are not commercial events and do not generate profit for the organizer.

  • Negotiating and signing deals and contracts.

  • Attending trade fairs for promotional purposes, without engaging in direct sales.

  • Conducting site visits and inspections.

  • Gathering information relevant to their employment overseas.

  • Receiving briefings on the requirements of UK-based customers, as long as any actual work for the customer is performed outside of the UK.

It is important to realise the Home Office will consider the credibility of the requested length of stay based on the intended activities planned during the stay. Please be aware that this list is not exhaustive, and it is essential to review the specific conditions and guidelines provided by UKVI or seek advice from an experienced lawyer or adviser to ensure compliance within the permitted activities allowed under the immigration rules relating to the reason for staying in the UK. For assistance with your application complete the contact form below. 

Intra-corporate activities are also permitted under the application route, provided that no direct work is carried out with clients. Employees of overseas-based companies who are engaged in a specific internal project with UK employees of the same corporate group can apply for under this route to undertake the following activities:


  • Advising and consulting on the project.

  • Troubleshooting any issues related to the project.

  • Providing training to UK employees.

  • Sharing skills and knowledge relevant to the project.

In addition, internal auditors may conduct regulatory or financial audits at a UK branch of the same group of companies as their employer overseas. It is important to recognise that intra-corporate activities should be of a short duration, specifically linked to a particular project, and should not involve directly engaging with or for clients. The UKVI expects individuals to primarily be based at their company's offices in the UK and not at client sites, unless it is for meetings or other permitted activities.

It is advisable to review the specific guidelines and regulations provided by UKVI or consult with our adviser to ensure compliance with the permitted intra-corporate activities under the application route.

If you are an employee of an overseas company, you are permitted to engage in activities related to the manufacture and supply of goods to the UK.


These activities include:


  • Installing, dismantling, repairing, or servicing machinery, equipment, computer software, or hardware.

  • Providing advice on machinery, equipment, computer software, or hardware.

  • Training UK-based workers to perform these services.

These activities are allowed when there is a contractual arrangement, such as a purchase, supply, or lease contract, between the overseas company and a UK-based company or organization. The overseas company must either be the manufacturer or supplier of the goods, or be part of a contractual arrangement for after-sales services agreed upon at the time of the sale or lease, including any warranty or service contracts related to the sale or lease. The Home Office may request evidence of the contract between the overseas and UK-based companies, which should clearly outline the arrangements for after-sales services.

It is generally expected that visitors engaging in these activities will stay in the UK for less than one month, as they are still considered to be employed by the overseas company. It is advisable to consult the specific guidelines provided by UKVI or seek advice from a lawyer to ensure compliance within the rules for engaging in the manufacture and supply of goods to the UK.

Get in touch if you require clarification in meeting these requirements 

If you are a client of a UK export company, you may be temporarily assigned or seconded to the UK company to oversee any obligations related to goods and services provided under a contract by the UK company or its subsidiary, as long as the two companies are not part of the same group. In such cases, the UKVI will require a contract of service between the two companies, which outlines the agreement for the UK company to provide goods or services to the overseas company.  This contract should clearly establish the relationship and the purpose of your assignment to the UK company. It is important to recognise that this provision applies specifically to clients of UK export companies and their temporary assignments to oversee contractual obligations. The UKVI will expect that the assignment is temporary and directly related to the specific contract.

To ensure compliance with the rules, it is recommended to provide all necessary documentation, including the contract of service, when applying to visit. Consult with our consultant who can provide further clarity on the specific conditions and procedures relating to this category get in touch using the form below.

If you are employed outside the UK, you may visit the UK to engage in specific activities related to your overseas employment. These activities include:

  • Translation and/or interpretation: If you are employed as a translator or interpreter for an enterprise located outside the UK, you may perform translation and/or interpretation services in the UK as part of your employment.

  • Personal assistant or bodyguard: As a personal assistant or bodyguard, you can support an overseas person in their permitted activities while attending the same event(s) as them. It's important to understand that your role should not involve providing personal care or domestic chores on behave of the applicant.

  • Tour group courier: If you are contracted to a company with its headquarters outside the UK as a tour group courier, you may enter and depart the UK with a tour group organized by your company.

  • Journalist, correspondent, producer, or cameraman: As a journalist, correspondent, producer, or cameraman, you may visit the UK to gather information for an overseas publication, program, or film.

  • Archaeologist: If you are an archaeologist, you may visit the UK to participate in a one-off archaeological excavation.

  • Professor accompanying students: If you are a professor from an overseas academic institution accompanying students as part of a study abroad program, you may provide a limited amount of teaching to the students at the host institution. However, this should not involve filling a permanent teaching role for that institution.

  • Market researcher or analyst: As a market researcher or analyst employed for an enterprise located outside the UK, you may conduct market research or analysis within the UK.

  • International driver: If you are a driver operating on a genuine international route between the UK and a country outside the UK, and you are employed or contracted to an operator registered outside the UK, or you are a self-employed operator and driver based outside the UK, you may deliver or collect goods or passengers from a country outside the UK to the UK. You may also engage in cabotage operations. The operator must hold an International Operators Licence or be operating on an own account basis.

It's important to ensure that your activities in the UK align with the specific requirements and limitations of the visa Route. Consulting with an adviser or referring to the guidelines provided by UK Visas & Immigration can provide further clarification on the eligibility criteria and application process for this category. If you need help in understanding what commitments are relevant to your application needs contact us using the form below.

In order to obtain a Visa, it is important to demonstrate to the UKVI that you have the intention to leave the UK at the end of your visit and that you will not reside in the UK for extended periods or make it your main residence. This requirement ensures that the purpose of your visit remains temporary and aligns with the immigration rules. During the assessment of your application, the UKVI will consider various factors to determine your intention to leave, including:

  • Previous immigration history: Your travel and previous history, including visits to the UK and other countries, will be considered.

  • Financial circumstances: Your financial situation, along with your family, social, and economic background, will be evaluated.

  • Ties to your country of residence: The UKVI will assess your personal and economic connections to your own country, such as family, employment, property ownership, and other significant ties.

The UKVI may have concerns about the genuineness of your visit if you have limited or no family and economic ties to your country of residence while having several family members in the UK, if you have made previous attempts to deceive the Home Office in an application, or if there are inconsistencies or discrepancies in the statements provided by you or your sponsor. It is crucial to provide sufficient evidence and information to demonstrate your genuine intent to visit the UK for a temporary company purpose and to satisfy the UKVI regarding your intention to leave the country upon completion of your stay. Consulting with a lawyer or seeking expert advice from us can help ensure your application meets the necessary conditions.

To discuss your application needs in more depth complete our contact form below.

To obtain a Visa, it is necessary to demonstrate that you have enough funds to cover all reasonable expenses related to your visit, including travel, maintenance, and accommodation costs. These funds should be sufficient to support yourself without the need to work or access public funds.

It is important to note that your funds must be held in a permitted financial institution. This typically includes recognized banks or financial institutions that are regulated and authorized to hold and manage funds.

In some cases, another person or a third party may be willing to cover your travel, maintenance, and accommodation costs. If this is the situation, it is crucial that the third party has a genuine professional or personal relationship with you. Additionally, they must be able to provide support throughout your stay as a Visitor.

Having the necessary financial means and providing evidence of sufficient funds are important factors in demonstrating your ability to support yourself during your visit to the UK. It is essential to ensure that you can cover all the costs associated with your stay without relying on public funds or engaging in unauthorized work.

There is no specific English language requirement that applicants need to satisfy. Unlike other categories such Skilled Worker visas, demonstrating English language proficiency is not mandatory under this route. Regarding the validity of the visa, applicants can choose different options depending on their needs. Visas can be obtained for a duration of 6 months, 2 years, 5 years, or 10 years. The length depends on the individual's intended frequency and duration of visits to the UK. It's important to recognise that regardless of the chosen validity period, each visit under the Visa is limited to a maximum stay of 6 months per entry (180 days). After the permitted period stay, individuals must leave the UK and cannot exceed the duration specified on their visa.

Applicants under this route are not allowed to work in the UK, unless in specific circumstances with limited exceptions. They cannot engage in employment, self-employment, or be employed with an organization or company based in the UK. Additionally, they are prohibited from establishing or running a company as a self-employed individual, undertaking work placements or internships, or providing goods or services for payment in the UK.

While in the UK as a visitor, individuals are allowed to carry out activities related to their overseas employment remotely, such as responding to emails or attending to work-related phone calls. However, it's important to note that the primary purpose of the visit should be to engage in permitted activities, rather than working remotely from the UK.

Foreign representatives are also permitted to visit the UK for the purpose of seeking employment and attending job interviews. However, if they are successful in securing employment, they are expected to leave the UK and obtain the appropriate entry clearance before starting work under a Skilled Workers visa.

It's essential to adhere to the limitations and restrictions imposed on foreign representatives to ensure compliance with the immigration rules.

The current Home Office application fee for a Short Stay Visa of up to 6 months is £100. If you intend to apply for a Short Stay Visa with a validity of 2 years, the application fee will be £376. For a validity of 5 years, the fee will be £670, and for 10 years, the fee will be £837. It's important to recognise that these fees are subject to change, so it's recommended to check the official UK government website or consult with an immigration advisor for the most up-to-date information on visa application fees.

Our immigration adviser specializes in supporting individuals and businesses worldwide in obtaining Visas to the UK for permitted short-term activities. We offer a range of services to meet your needs, including:

  1. Assessment of eligibility: We can assess your individual circumstances and provide guidance on meeting the application requirements.

  2. Application assistance: Our immigration adviser can guide you through the application process, ensuring that all necessary documents are prepared accurately and submitted within the required timeframe.

  3. Legal representation: If your application has been refused, our immigration adviser can provide expert legal representation to challenge or resubmit your application successfully.

  4. Compliance guidance: We can help you understand and comply with the rules and regulations associated, ensuring you meet all requirements and maintain compliance throughout your stay.

  5. Personalized service: We pride ourselves on offering a personalized and client-focused approach. Our immigration adviser will work closely with you, providing clear and reliable advice tailored to your specific needs.

By choosing our services, you can benefit from our expertise and dedication to delivering professional and friendly immigration advice. To discuss your application requirements with our immigration adviser, please complete our enquiry form or contact us directly.

5: Intra-corporate Activities
6: Manufacture & Supply of Goods to the UK
7: Clients of UK Export Companies
8: Overseas roles requiring specific activities in the UK
9. Intention to Leave the UK
10. Business Visitor Visa Financial Requirement
11. Business Visitor Visa Language & Validity Period
13. Busniess Visit Visa Applicaton Fees
14. How our Immigration Adviser can help
Contact fom
Request a free Application Assessment

MYG LTD - Immigration

79 Winchester Street 



  • Instagram
  • Linkedin
  • Facebook Clean
  • Twitter Clean

Thank you for your inquiry.

bottom of page