top of page
  • mgibson66

Marriage Visitor visa applications: Basic requirements you need to meet:

Updated: May 9

General Application Guidance: Basics You Need to Know

In reading this guide in full to the end you with have a basic understanding of the application requirements relating to marriage visitor visa applications.

If you believe your application requirements are more complex and need help.

family enjoying social time together
Getting married in the UK

If you want to marry in the UK you will have to apply for a marriage visitor visa to UK before you travel. As you will be prevented from giving notice and being able to get married or enter into a civil partnership when here. You can't stay or switch into a settlement visa either on a marriage visitor visa to UK after getting married.

Only fiancé visa UK applications allow you to switch into a spouse visa after marrying in the UK. If you intend on staying in the UK after marriage and don't want to leave to receive a spouse / partner visa then you must enter UK under a fiance visa UK application submitted from outside the UK as you can not switch using a marriage visitor visa UK application. Use the links at the end of this post for more information on fiancé(e) & Spouse visa applications.

Just like a standard visitor visa you will have to demonstrate to the UKVI (UK Visa & Immigration) and their local partner who operates a VAC (Visa Application Centre) that you have meet the eligibility requirements for a marriage visitor visa.

Marriage visitor visas generally are assessed like a visitor visa on a single core application requirement, however the main purpose for entering the UK is to marry or enter into a Civil partnership rather than coming for tourism or visiting family & friends. The core application requirement is broken down into 3 basic assessment criteria.

  1. Demonstrate strong social ties to country of origin / residence?

  2. Confirm your employment status?

  3. Confirm what accommodation you will be returning too after your UK visit?

To apply on your behalf for a marriage visitor visa you need to meet the core application requirements indicated below.


To apply for a UK marriage visitor visa:

  1. Your both over 18 years old

  2. You're coming to the UK to give notice & enter into a marriage / civil partnership

  3. Your free to give notice of marriage and to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival

  4. Your in a genuine relationship with your fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner


What you need to demonstrate:

  1. You will leave the UK at the end of your visit within 6 months

  2. You will not make UK your main home

  3. You will not live in the UK for extended periods by frequent or successive visits

  4. You can financially support yourself and any dependents during your trip

  5. You can use funding from someone else to support you to stay or leave the UK

  6. You have available funds to return home or continue any onward journey

  7. You have proof of any other activities you plan to do in the UK as allowed within standard visitor visa rules


The financial requirements:

There isn't a specific amount of financial support you must demonstrate other than you can live within your means whilst in the UK. The amount of financial support you will need will depend on several factors such as:

  • Your length of stay,

  • how much you spend on daily expenses & excursions

  • Any associated costs relating to the marriage whilst in the UK

  • Any where else you plan to travel within the UK


Things you can do:

  • Use the visa to marry or enter into a civil partnership within 6 months of arrival

  • You can marry or enter into a civil partnership in any location licensed for marriage

  • Visit friends & Family

  • Take excursions around the UK

  • attend meetings, conferences, trade fairs & negotiate contracts

  • take part in an exchange programme with a school or higher academic institute

  • Doctors & Dentist can take part in research, undertake or provide training

  • Undertake short period of research relating to an overseas course of study

  • Receive medical treatment or participate in organ assessment & donation

Things you cant do:

  • Bring in family dependent members they need to apply separately

  • Do any paid or unpaid work for a UK company

  • Work as a self-employed person - except for permitted activities related to your work or overseas business e.g. attend meetings, conferences etc..

  • Live in the UK for prolonged periods of time through frequent visits

  • extend or switch to another visa

  • Claim any social benefits

  • Enrol on a course of study


How long you can stay:

You usually can stay for up to 180 days (6 months) on a single visit. You can not switch out of a visitor visa once you are in the UK you must leave and reapply to come back into the UK through entry clearance.

Lets get your application started together

Disclaimer: The information provided above is for general purposes only relating to Immigration visa application procedures and these rules change regularly. I highly recommended you contact me directly for more in-depth advice and assistance. All enquiries receive a free initial application assessment to clarify how you meet the general application requirements of the above application route.

18 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page