top of page
  • mgibson66

Partner visa to UK: Basic requirements you need to meet:

Updated: May 9

General Application Guidance: Basics You Need to Know

In reading this guide in full to the end you with have a basic understanding of the application requirements relating to Proposed Marriage Visa Applications.

If you believe your UK Immigration Visa requirements are more complex and need our help.

family enjoying social time together
Partner visa to UK bringing Loved ones together

Who we fall in love with shouldn't bar us from deciding where we live or prevent us from living together in a loving & meaningful way. I believe everyone has the right to live a meaningful life with the person they love. When you are applying from outside the UK, you will need to apply for a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner visa before you travel to the UK.

Even if you normally travel to the UK without obtaining a visa (VOA - Visa On Arrival). You must obtain your fiancé(e) or Proposed civil partner visa before traveling as you can not apply for one from within the UK.

Selecting the right legal representative is a key part of any visa application process and it’s an important one to get right when your considering using an immigration adviser or Solicitor to submit your application for you.

For me to apply on your behalf for a Fiancé(e) or proposed civil partnership visa you first need to meet the following core application requirements.


Your partner must be an Irish, British Citizen or someone settled in the UK. Those applying through entry clearance their proposed partner / civil partner must be returning settled resident or UK residents who you will live with permanently within the UK.

To apply for a Partner visa to UK:

  1. Your partner must be a Irish or British national (or)

  2. Overseas national who has settled in the UK holding indefinite leave to remain, Settled Status or Permanent residence

  3. Your partner and you both are over 18 years old (I recommend at the time of application submission)

  4. You intend to marry or register civil partnership before your visa expires

  5. You both intend to live permanently together as civil partners or husband / wife after you become wed

  6. You have met previously


What you need to demonstrate:

  1. You are not blood related

  2. You are in a sustained, existing and genuine relationship together

  3. Any previous marriage or civil partnerships either of you have been in are legally dissolved to allow you to wed

  4. You meet UKVI English language requirements or qualify for exemption

  5. Until you are married or in a civil partnership, you and any dependents have somewhere to live without requiring use of public funds

  6. When you are married or in a civil partnership. You and your partner have adequate accommodation you solely occupy together along with any dependents without requiring accessing public funds

  7. You can financially support yourselves and any dependents without the need to access public funds before and after you are married or in a civil partnership even if you are not living together before marriage or in a civil partnership together

  8. Your partner (sponsor) once married or in a registered civil partnership must live with you permanently in the UK when you apply for a spouse or civil partner visa.


The financial requirements:

Your Partner must meet the minimum income requirements under Appendix FM if you are returning with them to the UK. If you apply in UK holding valid leave to remain joint household incomes can be used to apply.

  1. Partner's gross annual income must be more than £18,600 plus

  2. £3,800 first child dependent (who are not British or a settled national)

  3. £2,400 each additional child (who are not British or a settled national)


How long can you stay:

When applying to come to the UK for the first time you receive an entry clearance vignette visa in your passport. Proposed Patrner Visa UK applications are only granted on entry clearance from outside the UK. Visas are issued for 6 months only and cost the same as a spouse or civil partnership application which is awarded for 33 months.

Not allowed to do:

You are not allowed to work

Allowed to do:

You can switch into spouse or civil partner further leave to remain.


Natural progression to Permanent Residence:

Before your "Entry clearance" expires you will need to apply for an extension visa under "further leave to remain", if successful you will receive a further 30 months.

Once you have accrued 60 months leave to remain in the UK, you can apply for Indefinite leave to remain otherwise know as settlement or permanent residence provided you can demonstrate you met ILR application requirements.

Once you receive your PR and depending on your personal circumstances you may be eligible to apply for Naturalisation (British Citizenship) immediately after receiving your Permanent Residence BRC ID card.

Lets get your application started together

Disclaimer: The information provided above is for general purposes only relating to Immigration visa application procedures and these rules change regularly. I highly recommended you contact me directly for more in-depth advice and assistance. All enquiries receive a free initial application assessment to clarify how you meet the general application requirements of the above application route.

38 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page