top of page
  • mgibson66

Adult dependent Relative visa: Basic requirements when family members are in UK.

Updated: May 9

General Application Guidance: Basics You Need to Know

If you read this guide in full to the end you will gain a better understanding of the application requirements relating to family members dependents for example joining a child in the UK.

If you believe your application requirements are more complex and need help now.

family enjoying social time together
Obtain Adult Dependent Relatives Visas & Child Dependents Visas for the UK

You may be able to come to the UK and live permanently through a settlement visa in UK on an adult dependent relative visa if you are a family members (parent, grandparent, brother, sister, son or daughter) of a British Citizen or an Overseas national who has ILR.

Please be aware adult dependent relative visa application eligibility criteria is narrow & niche in function. Which can make it difficult to demonstrate your adult dependent relative(s) can meet the visa application criteria. When considering this application route I recommend you at least consider having your application professionally checked before submitting due to the overall complexity of the application route.

When looking for help to apply as a adult dependent relative under this visa route selecting the right legal representative is a key part within the application process and it’s an important one to get right when considering using an immigration adviser or Solicitor to help submit your adult dependent relative visa application.

To apply on your behalf for a adult dependent you first need to meet the following application requirements.


Requirements of the adult dependent visa Relative:

Applying from outside / inside the UK.

  • Applicants relative must be 18 years old or over

  • Applicant must be their parent, grandparent, brother, sister, son or daughter

  • Applicants relative must be a British citizen, Irish national who is settled in UK with ILR

  • EU / EAA National with pre-settled status living in the UK before 1 Jan 2021

  • Hold refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK

You can apply to settle permanently in the UK from within or outside UK.


What you need to demonstrate:

Applying from inside or outside the UK.

You will need to demonstrate all the following are applicable to your circumstances

  • You require long-term personal care to perform everyday tasks, such as cleaning and cooking.

  • You require care you are unable to access within the country you live in, either because it's not available and or no-one in your country can reasonably provide it to you and or its unaffordable to access.

  • Your UK relative is able to demonstrate they can provide adequate maintenance & accommodation including caring for you without the need to access public funds

  • Your UK relative will need to sign a sponsorship undertaking form confirming they will be responsible for your care without relying on any public funds for a minimum period of 5 years.


Financial & Language requirements:

UK relative can financially support themselves & any other dependents without accessing public funds. They will need to demonstrate accommodation is adequate to accommodate everyone living within the household

If English isn't your native language you will need to demonstrate you have knowledge of English by passing an SELT English Test or demonstrate you have an exemption if you are between 18 - 65 years old.

Adults over 65 years old are exempt from siting SELT English tests


How long can you stay:

The period of time you can stay depends on the immigration status of your relative in the UK.

If your relative is a British, Irish settled or overseas settled national living in the UK you will be awarded indefinite leave to remain or enter.

If your relative is EU or EEA national with pre-settled status living in the UK prior to 1 Jan 2021 you will be awarded the amount of time as your relative, you will also need to apply for settled status when they do.


Natural progression to Permanent Residence:

If your relative is a Settled or British, Irish settled National you will receive indefinite leave to remain or enter depending on from where you apply.

Only EU & EEA nationals and their adult dependents on pre-settled status will need to apply for Settled status once they become eligible.

Once you receive your settled status, Permanent Residence or ILR and depending on your personal circumstances you may become eligible to apply for Naturalisation (British Citizenship) immediately after receiving your Permanent Residence BRC card.

Lets get your application started together

Disclaimer: The information provided above is for general purposes only relating to Immigration visa application procedures and these rules change regularly. I highly recommended you contact me directly for more in-depth advice and assistance. All enquiries receive a free initial application assessment to clarify how you meet the general application requirements of the above application route.

28 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page